Monday, October 19, 2009

AAAshnagmfrakgmntplthids!

That is the unintelligible cry of an obviously stressed out Genevieve.

Asher Roth sums up pretty well how I've been feeling recently.





I was about to go on a tirade about how parents are supposed to be at least a little bit more mature than their children, but I've decided that nothing I say is going to help so...

Here's the recipe for the pie that I made a while back, with little helpful hints of mine added in.


1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
(very easy, look it up on google or buy it at the store)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
if you're worried about the apples getting brown prior to baking, put them in a lemon juice & water mix

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
OK, here's the thing- the first time I tried this, I burned the sugar. Unless you really know what you're doing with the sugar, I'd suggest having someone there who's done it before. That way, you can blame it on them if something goes wrong; I had my mother help with that the 2nd time, and it came out perfect.
Place the bottom crust in your pan.
I didn't know this- you have to actually take about half of the pie crust dough & roll it out. Don't just squish it into the pie pan (I'll admit, that's what I did the first time). Fill with apples, mounded slightly.I'd go for a deep-dish pie tin, because otherwise you don't really use all the apples. Cover with a lattice work of crust.Roll out the dough again, cut it into strips, lay them on top. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.


- ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ -

Your end product should look something like this-
This is the second pie obviously, not the first.


REMEMBER-
Third time's the charm. I plan on making another soon, this time without using my mother as backup on the sugar-melting portion. Wish me luck.

No comments: